Home
LEARN ABOUT ELECTRICITY

The truth about Electric Shock!

This is so important! Electricity can shock, burn or kill you! You never know when contact with electricity will be fatal, but you can count on it hurting. It's not only power lines that can kill or injure you if you contact them, you can also be killed by shock from an appliance or power cord in your home if you don't know how to take precautions!

WHY DO PEOPLE GET SHOCKED?
Electricity flows through water almost as easily as it travels through the wire that brings electricity to your house. Your body is 70% water. So if you touch electricity, it will flow through you, and you will be badly hurt. The amperage of the electric current and length of time you're in contact with it, determines the injury.

Avoid Electric Shock!

Never climb utility poles or play on fences around substations.
Keep electrical cords and wires away from heat and water.
If you are touching water, never touch electrical devices such as light switches, hair dryers, curling irons, mixers, or toasters.
Don't pull on electric cords to unplug them.
Keep kites away from power lines, and never fly metallic balloons outside.
Don't put your fingers in a light bulb socket.
If you see a fallen electrical wire, stay away!
Disconnect appliances before cleaning them.
Tell someone if you see a frayed cord.
Don't swim during an electrical storm.
Don't touch overhead wires when you're carrying a ladder, pool skimmer, or any other long object.
Don't climb a tree that has power lines running through or near it.
Don't use an electrical appliance when you're wet.
Tell your parents about damaged plugs and cords on outdoor and indoor appliances.
Don't touch anyone or anything that is touching a downed wire.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
People who work with electricity use special protective gear. You do not have this gear, so stay away from danger! Your main job is to call 911 in case of an emergency!